Baird’s Creek Presbyterian Church
2174 North Carolina Highway 194 | Phone: 828.297.4089
Church of the Holy Cross
Located one mile from downtown Valle Crucis on Highway 194 | Phone: 828.963.4609
The history of the Episcopal Church is woven through the modern history of the Valle Crucis community. The Right Reverend Levi Ives, Episcopal Bishop of North Carolina came in 1842 and gave the area its name.
Over the next several years, Bishop Ives established the Society of the Holy Cross, the first Monastic Order in the Anglican Communion since the English Reformation of the mid-sixteenth century. The Bishop Ives Cabin, last of the original buildings, now serves as the Church Library.
William West Skiles, who originally came to Valle Crucis to supervise its farming operation, joined the Monastic Order, and in 1847, was ordained Deacon. Brother Skiles kept the Episcopal flame alive from 1852, when the Monastic Order was disbanded, until his death in 1862. Brother Skiles’ inspiration led to the construction of St. John’s Church, where he is buried. St. John’s Church still stands three miles from the Church of the Holy Cross and is used by the parish for special services.
In 1895, Bishop Joseph Cheshire came to Valle Crucis to revive the Episcopal Ministry. Under his direction, several of the buildings, which are still in use, were constructed. In 1898, Bishop Junius Horner was installed as Bishop of the newly established Missionary District of Asheville. Bishop Horner began a renaissance in Valle Crucis. He started a dairy and chicken farm, saw mill and wagon factory, apple orchard, hydroelectric power plant and a school for grades one through twelve. This school closed in 1943. After World War II, the facilities housed a summer training program for seminarians and were used as a resort inn. In the 1960’s buildings adjacent to the Church of the Holy Cross became The Valle Crucis Conference Center, where groups from all denominations participate in conferences and retreats.
In 1925, during Bishop Horner’s renaissance, the present day Church of the Holy Cross was built. The congregation has grown and now serves a wide area of Watauga and Avery counties. In 1982, the Church of the Holy Cross was admitted as a full parish into the Diocese of Western North Carolina.
Sunday Services from Memorial Day weekend through Labor Day weekend:
11:00 a.m. Holy Eucharist
8:00 a.m. Holy Eucharist and Healing
Clarks Creek Baptist Church
Members of the Baptist Church on Clarks Creek Road built the little frame church together in 1941. As then, today many of the members are generations of residents of Clarks Creek, Dutch Creek and other nearby locations.
Holy Communion Lutheran Church
1525 Clarks Creek Rd | Phone: 828.963.4673 | Fax: 828.963.5446
The construction date of the first Lutheran church in Valle Crucis is unknown, as some speculate the first Lutheran settlers arrived in the 1700s, although there are no written records to affirm this. The first church, a log cabin, was named Friedens Kirche, German for Tranquility Church. In 1939 the original church was replaced with a new stone building, changing names to Friendship Church and later to the present day Holy Communion Church.
St. John the Baptist Episcopal Church
Located at 645 Herb Thomas Road off Mast Gap Road, Valle Crucis | 828.963.4609
This rustic chapel was built in the mid-nineteenth century by William West Skiles and his dedicated congregation; a labor of love for a small community. Perched on a hillside, the church is surrounded by the breathtaking mountain woodlands of Valle Crucis. St. John’s Church lies three miles from Holy Cross Episcopal Church, whose congregation has tended this historical venue for decades.
Sunday Services from Memorial Day Weekend through Labor Day Weekend:
9:00 a.m. Holy Eucharist
Concerts at St. John’s this Summer
St. John’s Summer Sunday Concerts followed by picnic on the grounds:
May 29, 5:00 p.m.
Singin’ in the Valle – Holy Cross Choir
July 3, 5:00 p.m.
Todd Wright Ensemble – Jazz
August 7, 5:00 p.m.
Whitetop Mountain Band – Typical Mountain Music
September 4, 5:00 p.m.
Cathedral Choir from Trinity Cathedral in Columbia, SC – A capella
Valle Crucis United Methodist Church
2495 Broadstone Road | Phone: 828.963.6085
The first church used by Methodists in the valley was a log schoolhouse, although sometimes services would be conducted in the homes of prominent families. In 1870 the congregation built a church at the present location, with significant additions and improvements throughout the following century.
Sunday Service begins at 9 a.m.
Sunday School begins at 10 a.m.